Have you ever wondered what happens below ground when a plant grows? Today, you are going to watch a time-lapse video of a bean seed growing. Next, you will examine the root systems of different plants and make observations. Lastly, you will grow plants whose root systems are easily observable in water.
Student Learning Goals & Objectives:
- Understand the difference between primary roots and secondary roots
- Identify key functions of roots
Download Lesson Materials
- This lesson includes an optional Building Your Garden Vocabulary worksheet that supports students to learn key vocabulary words and their related terms. We recommend utilizing this resource and making it a central part of the lesson.
- For sections that instruct students to READ, you can record yourself reading aloud and send it to students. Direct them to read along with the recording. This is a helpful strategy for differentiating learning that supports all students, especially English Language Learners.
- The READ sections can also serve as talking points for teachers if the lesson is being taught in person or synchronously.
- If students are completing this lesson as part of Know, Sow, Grow this is lesson two.