Create Your Own: Quick Organic Pickles
Place of Learning:
Pickles are a delicious snack or accompaniment to many different foods. Pickling – the process of fermenting in a salt brine or using vinegar to preserve and flavor vegetables – is believed to be the oldest method of preserving food and dates back to over 4,000 years old. In this lesson, you will learn one of the many techniques to pickle vegetables.
Student Learning Goals & Objectives:
- Understand and practice the process of quick pickling.
- Make choices in the ingredients of their recipes and reflect on those selections.
Download Lesson Materials
- See Sharing Toolkit for Teachers to help determine how students will share and which platform they will use. Also see our Sharing What You Made resource for students on how to create voice memos, photo diaries, etc.
- If students are completing this lesson as part of the kitchen curriculum Cooking with Curiosity: Challenging Perfection with Reflection this lesson is 2.3. The third lesson of Unit 2.
- For sections that instruct students to READ, you can record yourself reading aloud and send it to students. Direct them to read along with the recording. This is a helpful strategy for differentiating learning that supports all students, especially English Language Learners.
- The teacher resource, Recipes, and List of Equipment and Ingredients details recipes, equipment, and bulk ingredients for the recipes featured in the curriculum. We suggest having students or parents check off the equipment they have available. If in the event some equipment is not available, you can indicate to students how they can adapt the recipes.
- Some lesson plans are formatted as a fillable PDF so that students can answer the questions and return the document as if it were a worksheet. We recommend testing this functionality with your technology as it varies by device and operating system. If it does not work for you, consider using a google form or having students answer the questions in a new document and submitting their answers to you that way.