Create Your Own: Planter Box
Building a planter box is a simple way to start gardening. This lesson will help you build your own planter box using a few simple items that you can get at any hardware or garden store or by upcycling things you have already.
Student Learning Goals & Objectives:
- Understand why both drainage and irrigation are important for plant health
- Identify various sources of organic plant fertilizers
- Build their self-efficacy in gardening
- Practice following a multistep procedure
Download Lesson Materials
- Students may need support using a drill, knife, or punch to create drainage holes in the bottom of the container.
- The “student notes” section of the lesson offers great ways to extend this lesson.
- For sections that instruct students to READ, you can record yourself reading aloud and send it to students. Direct them to read along with the recording. This is a helpful strategy for differentiating learning that supports all students, especially English Language Learners.
- The READ sections can also serve as talking points for teachers if the lesson is being taught in person.
- If students are completing this lesson as part of Know, Sow, Grow this is lesson four.