Create Your Own: Grain Bowl Recipe
Place of Learning:
In this lesson, you will practice various kitchen recipes, skills, and techniques while making a delicious grain bowl. This recipe has you combine multiple skills to make a complete meal using a flexible recipe that can adapt to any season and whatever vegetables you have available to you.
Student Learning Goals & Objectives:
- Make choices in the ingredients of their recipes and reflect on those selections.
- Further their understanding of the difference between precise recipes and flexible recipes.
Download Lesson Materials
- If students are completing this lesson as part of the kitchen curriculum, Cooking with Curiosity: Challenging Perfection with Reflection this lesson is 3.7, the seventh lesson of Unit 3.
- For sections that instruct students to READ, you can record yourself reading aloud and send it to students. Direct them to read along with the recording. This is a helpful strategy for differentiating learning that supports all students, especially English Language Learners.
- See Sharing Toolkit for Teachers to help determine if you want students to share with their class and which platform they will use. Also see our Sharing What You Made resource for students on how to create voice memos, photo diaries, etc.
- The teacher resource, Recipes and List of Equipment and Ingredients details recipes, equipment, and bulk ingredients for the recipes featured in the curriculum. We suggest having students or parents check off the equipment they have available. If in the event some equipment is not available, you can indicate to students how they can adapt the recipes.
Some lesson plans are formatted as a fillable PDF so that students can answer the questions and return the document as if it were a worksheet. We recommend testing this functionality with your technology as it varies by device and operating system. If it does not work for you, consider using a google form or having students answer the questions in a new document and submitting their answers to you that way.