Analyzing Media on Organic
There are many different ideas and opinions about organic food and farming—getting comfortable understanding and analyzing the ideas of others allows students to form their own informed views. In this lesson, students will read two different sources to practice analyzing media and to continue developing their own opinions on the subject of organic.
Student Learning Goals & Objectives:
- Engage with different perspectives on organic.
Practice sorting claims, opinions, and facts in a diverse range of media on organic.
Download Lesson Materials
- Given the scope of this curriculum and the complexities of the issues, conversations and lessons presented here will be imperfect and incomplete. Still these lessons will help students engage in dialogue, build critical thinking skills, and increase their capacity to analyze media sources.
- The articles provided in this lesson might not reflect the most current understandings of organic. Consider using excerpts of your own choosing to focus on an issue of organic that is more current or relevant to your class.
- The topics included in this lesson are limited. Students can also practice their media analysis skills as they conduct primary research on other topics related to organic. You can have students then debate opposing viewpoints. Our Articles for Extensions document has a range of additional topics you can have students debate.
- This lesson emphasizes open discussion. For tips, suggestions, and resources on leading open discussions please see our resources: Facilitating Open Discussions and Mindsets for Open Discussions.
- This lesson is part of Edible Schoolyard Project’s Understanding Organic curriculum and is the eighth lesson in the “core lessons” of the curriculum.
- The “READ” sections of this lesson plan can be used as talking points or as a script to introduce activities. Please note, these sections simply provide brief introductions to the topics. We recommend using your experiences to add more information and context to the topics being covered.