Development Officer Job Description
'This is a full-time position located in Berkeley, CA and reports to the Director of Development and Communications.
Who We Are
The Edible Schoolyard Project (ESY) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the transformation of public education by using organic school gardens, kitchens, and cafeterias to teach both academic subjects and the values of equity, nourishment, stewardship, and community.
The Edible Schoolyard was founded in 1995 by former Montessori teacher and restaurateur, Alice Waters, at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, CA and has inspired a network of 5,800 Edible Schoolyards around the globe. This program and our South Stockton Edible Schoolyard serve as the Edible Schoolyard Project’s demonstration sites and innovation hubs. Additionally, we produce extensive curricula and resources available to all, host family focused programming, and welcome guests from around the world for tours, trainings, and workshops.
The broader ESY mission is to use the power of public education institutions to create a system of school supported agriculture which connects regenerative farmers, ranchers, and food producers directly to school cafeterias. We believe beauty is a language of care and that every student deserves access to a free, delicious, and nutritious school lunch that is organically and regeneratively grown by people who are taking care of the land and addressing climate change.
What it Means to Work Here
Food and education are universal and the public school system is the place where we can teach every child the values they need to live on this planet together. When you join ESY, you are part of a curious, collaborative, equity-focused team that appreciates creativity and finds joy in our collective mission. We are deeply committed to providing an edible education using a hands-on whole-child educational model which teaches academic subjects to state standards in the kitchen and garden classrooms. Our work environment appeals to those who are self-starters, enjoy working as part of a small team and able to communicate and engage the ESY vision.
At a moment of exciting growth - including partnering with impactful foundations, engaged donors, and corporate partners to achieve revenue goals- the Development Officer plays a critical role in cultivating donor and partner relationships, and assists in the planning and execution of fundraising campaigns and events. The Development Officer coordinates the day-to-day departmental operations and supervises the Administration and Development Coordinator (part-time position).
The Development Officer is a person who is highly skilled in building and maintaining meaningful relationships and who enjoys detail oriented projects. They thrive in a productive work environment, have the ability to surprise and delight donors and partners, and use creativity to learn and adapt.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Cultivates and stewards relationships with individuals, community/corporate partners and foundations shepherding constituents through the donor giving cycle.
- Collaborates with the Director of Development and Communications and ESY program staff to generate collateral including funding proposals and reports, solicitation appeals, and event related materials.
- Drafting of personal outreach communications including letters, emails and phone calls.
- Support in drafting and designing external communications (newsletters, blog posts, email campaigns).
- With the support of the Administration and Development Coordinator, manage the gift report and donor acknowledgement process.
- Researching and cultivating new donor prospects.
- Participates in training to develop knowledge of Development theory and practice.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned by supervisor.
The Strongest Candidate Will Have:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly, highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
- A commitment to meticulous data management.
- Previous experience in donor relations or related fields.
- Experience with Salesforce.
- A genuine respect for youth and regenerative organic farming.
- Appreciation and dedication to artful design.
- A curious and constantly expanding mind.
What We Offer
ESY is required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this role, together with other compensation being offered such as a discretionary bonus, retirement plan, health insurance, and other perks. There are several factors taken into consideration in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and organizational needs. The current salary range is $70,000-$80,000 which includes a discretionary annual bonus, health insurance benefits, paid time off, 403b participation with a company matching program, and personal development allowance.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org