Director of Development Position
The Director of Development is responsible for managing the organization’s overall fundraising strategy and implementation. Working closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, staff and Founder Alice Waters, he/she will be responsible for a fundraising campaign each year to meet the annual operating budget. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director.
About the Edible Schoolyard Project
The Edible Schoolyard Project (ESY Project) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to build and share a national food curriculum for the education system. We envision this “edible education,” like physical education, as part of the core curriculum of every school in the country. By providing all students with a free nutritious lunch and interactive experiences in kitchen and garden classrooms, edible education has the power to transform the health and values of every child in the United States.
Roles and Responsibilities
Management and Strategic Planning
• Develop and manage annual fundraising goals with ED and Board
• Work with Operations staff to monitor and report to ED and Board on quarterly progress toward goals
• Develop web, print and other materials to support fundraising goals
• Draft and coordinate production of annual report, including all financial reports
• Manage outside consultants (e.g. grant writer, accountants) when applicable
• Explore other creative fundraising opportunities and programs such as planned giving, membership-based programs, merchandising, website fundraising on our new site, corporate partnerships, etc.
• In collaboration with Operations staff, manage and improve upon existing donor database and tracking systems
• Design and implement stewardship program to increase level of giving and expand current donor base
• Develop printed and online collateral to support major gifts expansion, e.g. pamphlets, annual report, donor updates and website copy
• Manage two mail campaigns (appeals) per year in support of annual fundraising goals
• Develop web initiatives to increase online giving
• Manage donor acknowledgements in the form of personal calls from Board or Alice, letters, annual reports or signage
• Write grant proposals or manage outside consultants as needed
• Manage grant deliverables and reporting for existing grants
• Research and develop opportunities for new grant funding
• Design and produce fundraising events at Chez Panisse Restaurant or private venues in major donor areas
• Generate and manage host committees, corporate sponsors and in-kind donations
• Draft and negotiate contracts and agreements as needed
• Work with Alice, Restaurant, ESY Project staff, and Board to ensure profitability
• Identify, track and negotiate appropriate partnership or sponsorship opportunities
• Manage corporate relationships including developing and implementing schedule of benefits
The ideal candidate will be a versatile development professional, experienced in fundraising research, grant writing, fund solicitation, partnership building and event management. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, a history of success in raising funds for programs and core support, and a sincere passion for work with environmental and edible education are required. A minimum of seven years’ experience is required. Honesty, humility, flexibility and a strong will are critical to this work.
Duration and Compensation
The Director of Development is a full-time position beginning as soon as possible. Salary is commensurate with experience. The position carries full health benefits, as well as vacation and sick leave.
Applicants should submit a résumé and letter of interest to email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning March 1, until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
The Edible Schoolyard Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer.